We had a night to remember with delicious Speakeasy Fare from Bill Westergard and a Cocktail Station with Bottle Shop 33. Lamb Sliders, Cheddar Cream Biscuits with Filet Mignon, Savory Chicken Salad in Puff Pastry and Potato Soup filled bellies while we had an interactive bar where we learned how to create a Bee Knee's, Manhattan, Old Fashioned and The Bootlegger. 1920's music filled Johnson's Joint while Melissa Hirsch snapped wonderful photo booth style shots of everyone in their Gatsby/ Prohibition get ups! Later, Shaun Dashjian lead the Gangsters and MoBsters on the dance floor teaching all of us the Jitterbug. What a PARTY!
SEX is not an easy topic for parents to talk about with their kids, but Auburn Meisner, licensed social worker and sex therapist made this topic a bit easier for us! With a bit of humor and solid facts we started a much needed conversation between just the Moms. We just scratched the surface with this complicated and heated subject.
More details to come stay posted!
A few of the topics that Auburn presented to The MoB:
- Sexual development in boys from 2 years old through their teenage years.
- Current statistics on the sexual activity and boys.
- How technology has changed the way boys relate to themselves and others sexually and emotionally and what the implications these changes have on boys.
- How mothers can effectively and confidently navigate the ever changing technological landscape in order to relate, connect and influence their sons to develop healthy, fulfilling sexual identities.
- How mothers can have age age-appropriate and comfortable conversations with their boys.
The MoB flew, Janie Porter, all the way from Florida! to come speak to MoBsters! Janie was a prestigious tv news reporter for 8 years, but is now a stay at home mom to her beautiful 3 boys!!! Janie has created her own site called Shejustglows.com, where she shares how small choices helped her lose 25lbs and empowers readers to find their inner glow through food, fitness and believing their worth it!
Janie shared hilarious stories from her world of mothering 3 boys, all of them 5 years old and under, through a lens of joy, gratitude and authenticity. She showed us her favorite ways to feel put together, even if she only has 5 minutes to get ready, and her favorite way to keep up the household, even with limited time and attention. Janie took us through how she began "owning" her mothering , rather than letting others define her. How she stopped allowing comparison to rob the joy from her motherhood and how she's self-taught in the art of taking care of herself, even if it's just a 5 minute home manicure! These few hours made us realize we are not alone and that a few simple changes can help ease our everyday stress and increase our happiness! We always feel very connected when MoBsters share their thoughts, ideas and everyday real life situations with our boys. When Janie read her blog entry, "Dear Depressed Moms You are Not Alone", hit home with everyone and actually only scratched the surface with our members!
Nicolette Vatjay, Feng Shui Expert with Inspired Living Feng Shui, delivered a very special night for The MoB! It was an enlightening night that gave us ways to change the way our family feels in our homes.
What is Feng Shui?
Arranging your environment so that energy or "chi" flows gently and smoothly through your home. In this way your home just feels good-and supports what you want out of life -whether it's a better career, new romance, improved health or more income.
Nicolette worked from MoB members 1st floor home plans to give us concrete ways to help our children, husbands and moms sleep better and to create more positive energy in our home!
The position of beds in your home can dictate how you sleep. The beds should always face the entry door or there are specific Feng Shui things you can do to improve the way your family will sleep. There are colors you can choose for certain areas of your home that will create positive chi or energy. Feng Shui looks at your home as a grid based from your front door. Your home has these energy areas working right now. If you would like to learn what areas of your home coordinate with the Feng Shui philosophy, then contact Nicolette! You will be amazed at how this can change so many aspects of your life, whether its your marriage, work, family or health...
Yes, this is a little confusing, but Nicolette has a very simple way of making this easy to understand.
The Bagua Color Chart:
Wealth:Purple/Red Fame/Reputation: Red Relationship:Pink
Wood: Green Fire: Red Earth: Yellow/Brown
Water: Blue/Black Wood: Green Fire: Red
Family: Green Health: Yellow Creativity & Children: White
Wood: Green Earth: Yellow/Brown Metal: White/Gray
Water: Blue/Black Fire: Red Earth: Yellow/Brown
Knowledge: Blue Career: Black Helpful People & Travel
Earth: Yellow/Brown Water: Blue Metal: White/Gray
Fire: Red Metal: White/Gray Earth: Yellow/Brown
The architectural designs of the house, and the placement of our loved decor will either create a positive, uplifting energy in your space. or create a home that depletes your energy and may leave you feeling agitated, stressed and sometimes even poor.
A little bit of Feng Shui knowledge is an abundance of love and support so you can live with less stress and more passion! Nicolette taught each MoBster how to make small changes in our homes right away that will help support better living conditions.
If you think of Feng Shui as acupuncture for the home, you will know, that when you clear away the blocks and get the chi flowing again, healthy living rises to the surface.
Nicolette's website has more details and insight into the process. Please contact her, as she would love to hear from you.
What a wonderful turn out on April 19th with MoBsters and our MoB friends! Thank you to Gourmet to Go and Trina Craig for the delicious lunch and desserts. And a big shout out to our mob photographer, Melissa Hirsch. Here is a recap of the Boys and Social Media Event. Please reach out to us with any questions, suggestions or social media do's and don'ts.
Dr. Batt talked about the brain and development, healthy and unhealthy use of social media, how to limit settings and empower our boys to make good choices. It is a known fact that kids spend less and less time outside and more time in front of a screen. In fact we read one statistic that kids spend 93% of their time inside. Ugh....we need to get our kids OUTSIDE!
The MoB Helpful Resources: 8 steps that could help protect your Boys!
- Filter everything
- www.Covenant Eyes.com, Internet accountability and filtering has great technical support and a simple, easy-to-understand setup and communication.
- You can get a monthly report showing all of the sites your child has visited (or even typed in the search bar)
- Teach your kids about pornography and what to do when they see it.
- Helpful book, Good Pictures Bad Pictures:Porn-Proofing Today’s Young Kids
- Use a cell phone contract.
- This is a simple agreement between parents and kids agreeing to how the phone will (and will not) be used.
- Talk to your kids about social media.
- Your next step is to just talk to your kids. “What social media apps do you want to use?” “What do your friends use?” “Why do you want them/how do you plan to use them?” etc.
- Do your research.
- Once you know which apps your kids like/want, then do your research. Look it up and read the good the bad and the ugly about that social media app.
- Set Boundaries
- Learn about the good and bad apps that our kids are using!
- www.safesmartsocial.com for lots of amazing information on these apps and how to use them.
Check in with your kids as often as possible!
MOB RESOURCES ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Here is a website that help will help you undestand the negative effects of screens and has a great contract for parents and kids: www.screenagersmovie.com
Are you keepingup with all the SnapChat changes? Go o to Josh Ochs' website to get the full story on ALL apps. He has a great parent app guide that describes everything in detail: www.joshochs.com
What you Need to know about Babies Toddlers and Screentime: www.npr.org
Slideshow from the presentation: Boys and Social Media
Melissa Batt, MD, MPH;Board Certified Child, Adolescent and Adult Psychiatrist, is an instructor at the University of Colorado School of Medicine, and provides clinical services to children, adolescents and adults at the Depression Center. In addition to medication evaluations, consultations, and medication management, she also provides some psychotherapy services, including play therapy, for children and adolescents as well as young adults.
Mindfulness: Paying attention on purpose, in the present moment, and non-judgmentally
Body Talk Practitioner, Tricia Gast, and the Zen Mama, Betsy Henry, taught MoBsters practical techniques that we can immediately incorporate into our daily lives. It was a FUN evening and here are some hightlights!
4-7-8 Breathing: Breathe in for 4 counts, hold for 7 counts and breathe out for 8 counts. This excercise will help you fall asleep and also manage stressful times.
Body Scan/Exploring the Mind Body Connection: Pay attention to how the mind and body relate so that you can be aware of where emotions show up in your body.
Are you living in MindLESSness? Here are a few examples of how to keep an eye on yourself:
- Forgetting someone's name as soon as you hear it.
- Breaking things, spilling things or accidents because of carelessness.
- Failing to notice subtle physical pain.
- Listening to someone with one ear while doing something else.
- Getting lost in thoughts or emotions.
- Being preoccupied with the past or the future.
- Eating without knowing you are eating.
- Having periods of time where you have difficulty remembering the details of what happened- running on autopilot.
- Doing several things at once rather than focusing on one thing at a time.
Ways to Practice Mindfulness
- Pay attention to your breathing.
- Change your routines- brush your teeth with your non dominat hand or drive a different way to work.
- Mindfulness at mealtimes- smell, feel, examine, hear and taste your food. Slow down and chew for 20-30 times before you swallow.
- Get outside and use your 5 senses daily.
- Try a guided meditation or a walking meditation
Cortics Technique: Designed to improve and balance the communication between the right and left side of your brain. Reset your brain's computer when the circuits are overloaded. Try this once a day. You can do it to yourself or do it to your boys. Watch this video for complete instructions:
Laughter Yoga: A unique excercise routine that combines group laughter with yoga breathing. Dr. Madan Kataria the 'Guru of Giggling' founded Laughter Yoga Clubs in 1995. Research has shown that there is a direct correlation between laughter and physiological and psychological benefits. Check out these links:
Hatha Yoga: Yoga is a 5000 year old Indian body of knowledge. Yoga is about harmonizing the body with the mind and breath through various breathing techniques, yoga postures and meditation
All of this information was provided by Tricia and Betsy and here are their amazing websites:
- Betsy Henry: www.Zen-Mama.com
- Tricia Gast: www.triciagast.com
Tricia and Betsy are leading a fun, practical and grounding workshop to help you reduce stress, put more joy in your life, discover your passion, learn how to be present and understand the mind- body connection.
EVERYDAY MINDFULNESS WORKSHOP
DATE: August 13, 2016
TIME: 9:00- 2:00 Lunch included
WHERE: Columbine United Church, Littleton
COST: $95 (early bird discount if you pay before July 13th)
Email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or call Tricia 303-888-2185 Betsy 720-323-1906 for further information.
ALL PHOTOS TAKEN BY MELISSA HIRSCH: www.melissahirschphotography.com
MoBster's enjoyed a private shopping event with loads of surprises at Melrose and Madison. This locally owned boutique on Pearl Street features denim, dresses, loungewear, swimwear and gifts. A portion of all the merchandise sold went to A Precious Child, The MoB's Charity of Choice! There was a makeup consultant that gave pointers and touch ups, Bloom jewelry trunk show, Sushi, shopping, drinks and lots of friends to share this special evening! Three of our very own MoBsters modeled outfits that were specifically styled just for them. There was a drawing for a special gift from Melrose and Madison and of course gift bags for everyone!